Imperial Cities and the Sahara Desert
This nine day adventure tour is perfect if you want to see the best of Morocco but have limited time. In just 9 days you experience everything Morocco has to offer, including the historic imperial cities, the middle and high Atlas mountain ranges, and you spend a night camping with the Bedouin in the Sahara Desert. The tour starts and finishes in Marrakech.
|We will meet you in the arrivals hall of Marrakech airport and transfer you to the pre-departure hotel. Later this evening we meet in reception for a pre-departure tour meeting (when you make your local payment) which is a great opportunity to get to know your tour leader and fellow guests. After the meeting we walk to the main square Djemaa el-Fna where you can grab some food or go shopping at the markets.|
|(Sunday) (B) Marrakech to Casablanca to Rabat|
|After breakfast in the hotel we leave Marrakech and drive to Casablanca and visit the stunning Hassan II Mosque, which is one of the biggest mosques in the world. We then drive to Morocco’s capital city Rabat and visit old fortress of Kasbah des Oudaias and enjoy the whitewashed blue and white houses. You can explore the fortress or chilled out in a café with some mint tea and pastries. Finally today we visit Le Tour Hassan and enter the Mausoleum of Mohammed V.|
|(Monday) (B) Rabat to Volubilis to Meknes to Fez|
|After breakfast we visit the amazing old roman ruins at Volubilis. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is home to some of the best kept Roman buildings in the world, and is 140BC. After we have explored Volubilis we take the short drive to the city of Meknes where you are free to explore this vibrant city. Meknes is home to an impressive Royal Palace and some stunning museums, but it’s also the best place to go shopping for bargains. Tonight we drive to Fez.|
|(Tuesday) (B) Fez|
|A whole day in Fez to explore and enjoy this amazing city. In the morning we have a guided walk about the historic old part of Fez, visiting the famous tanneries, Andalusian Mosque and El Quaraoiyin Mosque. This afternoon we visit the new part of Fez, which is considered my many people to be the most vibrant and colorful part of Morocco.|
|(Wednesday) (B) Fez to Mezouga (edge of Sahara Desert) (B) (D)|
|After breakfast we say goodbye to the hustle and bustle of urban life and explore the natural wild side of Morocco. After driving over the Middle Atlas mountains we head to the village of Mezouga which is situated on the edge of the Sahara Desert, for a night camping in the desert. You can enjoy camel rides, 4×4 safaris and much more. This evening we eat dinner with our Bedouin guides and enjoy star gazing before sleeping in traditional Bedouin tents.|
|(Thursday) (B) (D) Mezouga to Todra Gorge|
|We leave the desert behind and head for the foothills of the High Atlas mountains. The scenery here is spectacular, in particular Todra Gorge which is a canyon formed by thousands of years erosion by Todra and Dades Rivers. We have plenty of time so you can walk through Todra Gorge and marvel at the 300 meter cliffs. Obviously if the gorge is in flood, we may have to miss this part of the itinerary.|
|(Friday) (B) Todra Gorge to Marrakech|
|After breakfast we visit the stunning fortress of Ait Benhaddou which has been the film set of many modern day classic films like Gladiator (2000) and Prince of Persia (2010). Make sure you have your camera as this ancient fort is an amazing backdrop. After a brief stop at Ourzazate we drive over the High Atlas mountains and enjoy some amazing views before we arrive back in Marrakech.|
|(Saturday) (B) Marrakech|
|After breakfast we take a half day horse and carriage tour of this amazing city, visiting the Menara garden, the Saadian tombs, the Bahia Palace, the Koutoubia Mosque and the Dar Si Said Museum. The afternoon is free for you to explore and enjoy Marrakech before our final goodbye dinner tonight (not included).|
|(Sunday) (B) Marrakech|
|After breakfast the tour terminates. If you have a little extra time, why not climb Mt Toubkal with us?|
- Meet and greet at Marrakech airport on day one of tour, and transfer to our Marrakech tour hotel.
- All transport around Morocco in Air-conditioned mini-bus or car with local driver.
- All accommodation during the tour (7 nights in 3-4 star hotels (based on twin/triple share) and 1 night Sahara camping in Berber tents.
- 8 Breakfasts (B) and 2 Dinners (D)
- Services of local Moroccan based fully trained, English speaking Pillow Tour leader.
Whats NOT Included?
- Your international flights to and from Marrakech airport, and any accommodation before day one or after the morning of day nine.
- Your visa to enter Morocco if required?
- Your local payment of £100, which has to be paid directly to your tour leader during the pre-departure meeting on the evening of day one.
- Any meals or drinks not listed above.
- Your personal travel insurance which is compulsory and must include medical repatriation cover.
- Any extra costs or activities you wish to enjoy, for example if you wish to have a Hammam (Turkish bath) in Fez (Day 4) the cost is around £8 per person. A camel ride in the desert (Day 5) the cost is around £15 per person. For the goodbye dinner in Marrakech the group sometimes visits Fantasia Chez Ali (Dinner and show) the cost is around £30 per person.